PROS HAVE THE GEAR.
We invest thousands – if not tens of thousands – of dollars on quality, carefully-researched equipment. Aside from a professional grade camera, and lenses, a pro will have an arsenal of flashes, strobes light modifiers like soft boxes, umbrellas, reflectors, flags, and we know how to properly use them all.
PROS HAVE EXPERIENCE.
- We have education behind us and years of practice
- We know how to use a DSLR efficiently and creatively so you can have beautiful images.
- We shoot in RAW
- We know how to manipulate light that will flatter you, whether you are 9 or 90.
- We know how to pose you and to direct you so that you look your best
- We know how to calm people down—because we do this all the time. We know the tips and tricks to calm children, camera-shy women and reluctant men (husbands). And we have fun doing it.
- We can handle everything with grace and sometimes profit from conditions others might consider problematic.
- We know what details to look for that most people miss
- We know how to carefully compose an image
- We have the tools to enhance your images in post processing (and I don’t mean adding a filter like on Instagram), so well that you don’t even know they’ve been retouched.
PROS ARE EDUCATED
I have a diploma in Commercial Photography and was awarded the Patron Prize for having had the top portfolio of my graduating class. I also spend a good deal of my non-shooting, non-editing time learning and watching webinars, reading blogs and professional forums, searching for inspiration.
Pros join organizations where they can network with colleagues and learn from each other; they attend workshops and seminars, sometimes traveling halfway around the world.
Photography is not only my business, it is my passion. Most of my free time is spend on photography related activities.
PROS WON’T CANCEL ON YOU
without a VERY good reason
Let’s face it, best case scenario—even if your friend or cousin is a full-time photographer and offers his/her services, you could still run into problems. Professionals are bound to contracts and won’t cancel on you because something better comes up. You are our priority, period. People who work for free or for next to nothing have very little to nothing invested in YOU, so may just leave you high and dry at the last minute.
LASTLY, WE CONTROL QUALITY FROM START TO FINISH.
Pros spend time sorting through all the photos taken to carefully select the best ones, then editing the images to perfection. We use software that is the real deal, not free filters/templates downloaded from the internet or a discounted version of Photoshop Elements. Every single detail from beginning to end is tended to meticulously so that you are thrilled with your session and images.
Portraits are such an important part of our legacy. They are visual memories of people, places, relationships, love, friendships and the list goes on.
“The best thing about a picture is that it never changes, even when the people in it do.”
— Andy Warhol